Tuesday, July 13, 2010

RIP George Steinbrenner...I Didn't Think I'd Be Saying This So Soon


Nearly a week after celebrating his 80th birthday and having countless family, friends, and fans honor him, the beloved George Michael Steinbrenner III has passed away this morning in Florida of a heart attack. If you're like me right now, your heart is torn into pieces. I never knew the man personally but as an avid fan of the Yankee franchise and his team since 1995, I always felt a special connection to him....a connection that I even stressed down to our birthdays...he was born on July 4th and I was born on August 4th. So, when news broke of his tragic passing how did I react? I sat with my mouth wide open and couldn't make a sound. If this is bad for me, imagine how baseball must feel.

Tonight is the 81st All-Star Game and with Yankee players scheduled to play, it's no wonder that their hearts are broken into pieces as well. While the 25 man roster along with coaches may be blinded with tears, the Core 4, Andy, Derek, Mariano, and Posada must be crippled. This is the man who took a chance on four unknown young men, fostered their talents, and turned them into superstars. And, these four men have never bit the hand that fed them. They've always been loyal to the boss.

I want to take time out to give my greatest condolences to the Steinbrenner family. To his wife Elizabeth Zieg, you knew your husband like no other and thank you for allowing the world to love your husband as you have for all these years. To his children Hank, Hal, Jessica, and Jennifer, thank you for sharing your father with the world and for never scorning him for putting the business before you guys at times.

In closing, it's only fitting to say RIP George Steinbrenner.

Forever a fan,
Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you readers for your comments for they are truly appreciated.