Monday, August 23, 2010

Adieu Adieu Sweet Lou...

Where were you when Joe Torre decided he wasn't returning to the Yankees? I remember sitting on my couch watching ABC 7 and Scott Clark making his announcement. This was in 2007. Where were you yesterday, August 22, 2010, when Lou Piniella announced that this was his last day/time ever managing the Cubs? I was glued to my television like everyone else.

Lou Piniella's long, illustrious career in baseball which spans 48 years has come to an end. From the sharp-tongued, talented outfielder to the highly successful manager who threw tantrums and bases at umpires, Piniella has left and indelible mark on baseball that will never be forgotten.

Like so many of you, the early announcement came as a shock because we were all waiting for the end of the season to say our farewells...not in August. However, for a man who has put his family and team in a tie for first in his heart, his retirement yesterday only seemed fitting because he wants to spend more time with his ailing mother. "My mom needs me home and that's where I'm going", Piniella said before the start of the Cubs/Braves game yesterday.

It's an emotional time for Cubs fans as their beloved Lou moves on and for the rest of baseball as we say goodbye to the man who's lit up our highlight reels with his unique personality.  Wait...let me scratch that...it's not goodbye Lou...more like see you soon.



XOXO,
Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you readers for your comments for they are truly appreciated.