Monday, September 19, 2011

I Always Knew That Mariano Rivera's Favorite Number Was 602

Good evening readers. How are you feeling tonight? Did you have a rough day? Are you ready to go postal on your job and co-workers? If you've answered "yes" to any of the above questions then you are having another case of the Mondays. For those of you who are having a beyond extraordinary day, I can tell you why. It has nothing to do with the new love in your life, that promotion set in place, or that upcoming weekend trips with friends. No, your happiness stems from the fact that MARIANO RIVERA IS NOW THE ALL-TIME SAVES LEADER!

It seems like just yesterday, 1995 to be exact, that we began hearing the name Mariano Rivera. Like many people on the New York Yankees, Mariano was a young, lanky, hungry pitcher just trying to make a name for himself in this big city. In 1996, Mariano became the Yankees' setup man and in 1997 had the honor of being named the closer. It's not an easy gig closing out baseball games but there was something about Mariano in which we NY fans knew that we had just hit the jackpot. Things would never be the same.

With the Yankees and their impressive storybook dynasty throughout the 90s, Mariano Rivera was the key man in making sure that his team always acquired the win. Now, I know what you're thinking "there's no way in hell that anyone could be that great at his job for 17 years" and I say to you "sip on that haterade because baby it's true!"

How do I even continue to describe in detail the plethora of accolades and praise this man has amassed over the years? Is there even room in this post? This blogger has more than enough time and energy to go into detail but I want to reserve this portion of the post to let my emotions run deep and my fingers to type away.

As a fan of the Yankees since 1995, all I've come to know and selfishly expect is winning. My entire baseball fanhood has seen its fair share of heartache and joy but what keeps me coming back are the familiar faces and once known as the Core 4, it has now become the Core 3. These 3 men, Derek Jeter, Jorge Posada, and Mariano Rivera or God Almighty may have kept my pockets low from the amount of money spent on tickets and memorabilia(it was so well worth it) but my spirits were always high. Thank you guys.

So, to Mariano Rivera: thank you for your humility, for your undying passion, unwavering grit, and for always keeping us, your fans, at the forefront in your life. Thank you for reminding us in a very subtle manner that the start of the game can be bumpy and you either strikeout or hit a home run, but it's how you choose to end whether it be a 1-2-3 shutout or a completely blown save. Thank you for gracing us fans with a piece of calm and tranquility. Thank you to your wife and children for never scorning us and cursing us because we share a place in your heart.

Before the rambling begins because of my joyous emotions, I'll end this piece by simply saying Congratulations on 602 saves Mariano. I look forward to seeing 700 Sandman ;)

XOXO,
Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you readers for your comments for they are truly appreciated.