Thursday, September 29, 2011

Where Were You The Night of September 28, 2011?

I remember watching Fox about 7 years ago, I know I'm possibly dating myself, and like many of their marketing ploys, they were trying out many slogans to get fans to watch their channel during the MLB playoffs. I can't for the life of me remember what many of these slogans were because one stood out in particular and that magical phrase was: You can't script October. These four words packed so much in it that I don't believe Fox had any idea what they had created.

The above slogan has been used to define great moments in baseball since its patent and it has provided us fans with more than enough heartache and excitement than we could possibly bear. On September 28, 2011, this well known four word slogan would define a moment that will be remembered and passed down from generation to generation. Don't believe me, ask any and every sports fan tomorrow morning and watch the excitement in their voice.

Before the season began, MLB decided to implement a one-game playoff rule for those teams seeking entry into the playoffs, those who wind up in the Wild Card slot. Now fans, if you were like me, you were scratching your head because from your recollection, you have never seen 163 games played. But, like every diehard baseball fan, we accepted this rule, bitched about it a lot, but accepted it. Let's fast forward towards September.

Every September, fans and teams create this cloud of anxiety because the postseason is right around the corner. New York Yankees fans didn't have to worry because we clinched the division before the month concluded so all we had to do was sit back and watch everyone kill each other. We watched for days and shared many different emotions but on 9/28/11, something was strange in the air. Our televisions switched back and forth between the multitude of games because we were hoping for that one game playoff. Instead, we got something better.

The Braves/Phillies, the Cardinals/Astros, and the Red Sox/Orioles were battling for contention and where do we even begin? I think we just go to the results. The Phillies ousted Atlanta, the Cardinals trumped the Astros, and the RED SOX LOST TO THE BALTIMORE ORIOLES!

Yes, I'm excited about the last game because I loathe the Boston Red Sox. The rivalry runs deep and they shall not get any sympathy from me. Oh, how can I forget, the Tampa Bay Rays beat the Yankees which means they've earned a spot in the playoffs. I tip my hat off to them.

Ok readers, my head hurts from all of the excitement and my fingers are sore. I will end this post by saying congratulations to all of the teams who are in the playoffs and I shall catch you all Friday night when the Yankees play the Tigers in Game 1 of the ALDS!

Happy Postseason y'all!

XOXO,
Whitney

1 comment:

Thank you readers for your comments for they are truly appreciated.