Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Top 10 Things I'm Thankful For This Thanksgiving

As the year approaches its end, there are two things besides New Years Eve that we folks get all warm and fuzzy about: Thanksgiving and Christmas. Today is Thanksgiving and if God, Allah, Buddha, Krishna, or the Universe has allowed you to partake in the festivities, please take a moment and express your thanks. It doesn't take much to walk away from the noise, look up to the sky, and sincerely utter "thank you"therefore, find the energy and make it happen. Now I know we all want to get back to our families and stuffing our faces so here are the Top 10 things I'm more than grateful for this holiday season: (Disclaimer: There are a few things that I am thankful that many of you have seen before. It was too good not to use again)

10. Laughter - There's no greater feeling than to find something extremely funny and chuckling loudly until your stomach hurts. If you're fortunate enough to have a variety of sources to make your stomach hurt such as television, radio, and friends, then you are in my book a winner. I enjoy the moments where those in my life can change my mood from sullen to ecstatic. It it those moments that I live for and look forward to everyday. If you haven't found your means of laughter, please do so because having frown lines around your lips from laughter says a lot.

9. Positivity- We can all agree that the ability to find the silver lining in every situation is a job within itself and while there have been times when pessimism occupied my life, I couldn't help but muster up the strength to thing happy thoughts. You'd be surprised to see how your whole outlook and day changes when you alter the way you look at your life and find solutions to your problems.

8. Wisdom- I've seen a lot and have encountered life changing moments and while the majority of what I've seen and encountered were because of what you all may call "mistakes", I call them unnecessary/necessary events. What made them unnecessary was their timing but what made them essential was that I was able to see past the event and analyze it for what it really was.

7. Unlimited Opportunities - I am blessed with the opportunity to love, be loved by many, and share what I have to the world. I will continue to exhaust all the energy that I have to give back and enable someone to half half of the opportunities I have.

6. Health- No list would be complete without being thankful for good health. In this crisis that we continue to weather through everyday simple necessities such as food, shelter, clothing, and health have been sacrificed for millions. I am thankful to have great coverage with my health insurance plan and I'm grateful for the 2 colds that Ive had this year. It would seem odd that I'm thankful for colds but to treat my colds with NyQuil and sleep vs extended hospital stays and surgeries.

5. Knowledge - When it comes to proper education for all, you all know that I will effortlessly fight to ensure that all children have the means to great education. I was fortunate enough to attend great schools throughout my journey of learning and when I think about the corrupt systems in place that seek to destroy the basic right of education, it makes my blood boil. We all have to do better in ensuring that our children have bright futures so let's get the ground running!

4. Consistency - I know many people whose lives have gone from close to perfection to earth shattering chaos. I am grateful that for the past year, there have been some things that have remained constant and they are: family, friends, love, health, and employment. While everything else has shifted and the time has gone by, these things have either been constant or slightly improved but never depreciated or have left.

3. Employment - Oh readers, this right here is the mother load. With the recession and the unemployment rate increasing, disgruntled and fed up citizens have taken to the streets and "Occupied Wall Street".  Demanding that regulation be reinstated, the CAMELS system enforced, and economic equality for all, folks have decided to camp out in the city to voice their frustrations. I am thankful for having a job and income coming in. To see people that I know grapple with unemployment is disheartening but also eye opening. Before you decide to complain about your boss and the extra work he/she gave you, think about those having to decide between paying their rent or putting food on the table because they're a week away from being laid off.

2. Family- I'm certainly not a one dimensional woman, there are definitely many angles that make up who I am. I attribute that to my family. I'm thankful for their loving, caring, blunt, outrageous, and downright sincere nature. Without that array of qualities to choose from, I would be bland and boring...eww those words are nasty.

1. Love- There's no way I could have the ability to reflect on anything if I didn't reserve a huge chunk of heart for love. The ability to love and in turn be loved back is indescribable. You truly have to experience it to begin to help me define it. There's no greater feeling than telling someone "I love you" and having them saying it back and hearing the genuine emotion. I wouldn't trade it for anything else in the world.

Well readers, there you have it, the 10 things I'm grateful for this Thanksgiving. May you all enjoy this holiday and stop to give genuine thanks for things in your life.

XOXO,
Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you readers for your comments for they are truly appreciated.