Wednesday, February 8, 2012

We Came Back & Shot A 3!

Readers! I write to you with much excitement when I say that tonight's "Rivalry Week" match-up between the Duke Blue Devils and the UNC Tar Heels was one for the ages. Fans from both schools were laced with so many emotions and they gathered in the Dean Dome to watch this historic event. After the many shenanigans that took place with the Blue Devils, with nearly 2 minutes on the clock, a HUGE blunder from Tyler Zeller, and a miraculous play from Austin Rivers, WE WON THE GAME 85-84. Where to even begin?

In the first half, Duke dominated and kept Harrison Barnes and his shooting down to nothing. It seemed as if we would run away with the game but all of a sudden, right before the half closed, UNC found their stride and the Zeller/Barnes dynamic force came into action. With 38 seconds left on the clock before halftime, Duke somehow forgot where they were and who they were and allowed UNC to come back and take the lead. That's right readers, they allowed UNC to take the lead while they danced their way into the locker room. I knew right then and there that it wouldn't bode well for my team or my sanity at that point. Let's go to the 2nd half.

After turning back and forth between Law and Order: SVU and the game, the lead kept increasing and increasing as my hope kept falling and falling. At one point, UNC was up by 12 points with nearly 10 minutes to go in the game. I kept praying, cursing, praying some more, and doing some more cursing, and finally decided to cut the antics out and watch. I guess it worked because Duke began to cut their lead down to 7 and once the lead was cut down by 4, UNC leading 82-78, I started to get crazy. When the lead was cut down to 2, 82-80, I knew the flood gates were opening. Things were getting real. Things got so real that when Kelly attempted to shoot a 3-pointer, Zeller helped him out and helped Duke gain 2 points. The score was 82-84. Zeller went to the free throw line and missed his 2nd shot, there was about 10 seconds left and I kept screaming to my boyfriend, "ALL WE NEED IS 3! ALL WE NEED IS 3!". My screaming prayers were answered and the freshman extraordinaire aka Doc Rivers' son aka Austin Rivers shot a 3! DUKE WON 85-84! I REPEAT, DUKE WON 85-84! Coach K's record as the GOAT is still intact!

Much respect and props goes out to UNC who really had us backed in a corner for the majority of the game. Their hustle is real but the better team won ;). Ahh, all is right in my world :)

XOXO,
Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you readers for your comments for they are truly appreciated.