Monday, February 13, 2012

Whitney Didn't Know Her Own Strength




Hello readers. I know this post is long overdue but I'm glad that I've decided to write it. On Saturday, Whitney Houston passed away. I wanted to start out with this video because I truly feel that whenever you're on the verge of crumbling and ready to throw it all away, there has to be something inside of you that smacks you, shakes you, and doesn't allow to break. As Ms. Houston said "your life wasn't built to break". In her recent comeback, she proved that she didn't break but sadly, this woman who graced the world with her powerful vocals has journeyed home and has journeyed to peace.

There is no denying that the world is sad. We see the evidence in the 24 hour news coverage and the multitude of tributes in her honor. I feel especially sad because in my 23 years of existence, I was always reminded that I was named after her because of my father's love for her. Ms. Houston was the celebrity love of his life & when he found out he was having a girl, he grappled between two names but he eventually named me Whitney and gave me the middle name of his mother. I've never had any qualms with this decision because to be named after such a regal icon was incredible. Throughout her troubled years, I was still proud to bear the name "Whitney".  There was no shame in that game. I pray for her family who must find the light in such a dark time. Death isn't easy to handle so while we can't literally lend a hand and/or a  hug, our support will be more than welcomed. As I continue with the tradition of tributes, I leave you with some more  of my favorite Whitney songs that always left me speechless and hitting the relay button. I wish I could post them all but in the spirit of being concise, I'll leave you with a few from my library:









XOXO,
Whitney

1 comment:

  1. This was beautiful and it's wonderful you're named after an incredible talent

    ReplyDelete

Thank you readers for your comments for they are truly appreciated.