Sunday, June 27, 2010

A Meeting of Old Friends

Now that we've gotten acquainted I want to talk a little about what I found to be the highlight of my weekend although the weekend isn't over. This weekend was the much anticipated meeting between The New York Yankees and the Dodgers...but not the Brooklyn Dodgers but the LA Dodgers. Disclaimer: If you're surprised that The Brooklyn Dodgers are now the LA Dodgers then I can't help you in that area. So, coming back to the heart of this piece, this anticipated meeting between these teams wasn't so much about the game itself as it would be the meeting between Joe Torre and his former team and his Core Four(Jeter, Posada, Pettitte, and Rivera).

Before I continue let's take a trip down memory lane and open up those wounds of Torre's departure. Do you remember where you were in 2007 when Joe Torre announced he had left NY? I remember clearly. I was doing homework and I turned to ABC 7 and Scott Clark made the announcement that "Joe Torre has declined the contract given to him. It is truly the end of an era". I sat there stunned in disbelief that it was over. Just like that Torre walked away. I became pro-active and created a Facebook group entitled, "If Joe Goes, Then NY Goes". It had a huge following and sadly I didn't keep up with it but it's still there. Well, a long story short, Torre went on to manage the Dodgers and write a fabulous book "The Yankee Years". It looks as if Torre isn't hurting there.

I think we're all caught up on that front which leads me to analyze the meeting this weekend. Plain and simple, it's bittersweet. It's bittersweet for the Core Four who glance at the opposing dugout and see Joe wearing Dodger Blue. It's bittersweet for Joe and, sorry for not mentioning him earlier, Don Mattingly who followed Joe after he essentially "got played" by the Yankees. It's not easy for anyone who felt and continues to feel jilted by the organization they gave 12 years of their life to. Also, it's bittersweet for us fans who appreciate the new Joe for all of his efforts but like anyone attached to someone, it's hard to let go. It'll always be hard to let go especially when YOU'VE given your years, money, sweat, tears, and nails shavings from constantly biting them to "The Torre Years".

So, is there a bright side? YES! We get to see Joe again tonight and with the series tied up 1-1, I think we'll be more focused on beating Joe rather than sulking and venting about how the Yankees did him dirty. Stay tuned to because later on tonight, I'll recap this series as well as sports from around the league, the WC, and Tennis!

XOXO,
Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you readers for your comments for they are truly appreciated.